Monday, October 27, 2008

Ventura Sprint Car Racing

On Saturday night, 10-28-08, I went to Ventura to watch the Kittle Motorsports Team race their wingless 410 USAC/CRA Sprint Car.
Ventura is about 45 minutes south of me, about half way there I noticed the fog bank rolling in. I knew it was going to be a cold night at the track. Ventura's Seaside Park Fairgrounds is located right at the beach, it is usually cool there, but tonight dust was not going to be an issue....now to see the cars on the track.

As I sat in the stands, with my sweatshirt hood up, gloves and ski jacket on, I was wishing I remembered that blanket out of the back end of the car too.

The fog was hitting the stadium lights and falling like rain. The top of my camera bag was wet. I only used the one camera, Canon 40d, since it is more weather "proof" than the Canon 20d I also had, besides, it was too cold to be taking off my gloves to open the camera bag.

Danny "Showtime" Sheridan won his heat race and a little bit later the fog lifted enough to see the track.

Danny did a good job avoiding the traffic, even dodging a few wrong way drivers, but in the end it was not his night to win the race.

I am going to miss the biggest Race of the Season, the three day Oval Nationals that start on Thursday down in Perris (not not Paris) at the Perris Auto Speedway.

Good Luck Kittle Motorsports, the Pit Crew and Danny Sheridan of Santa Maria!




More racing photos can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment